Saturday, March 28, 2009

Knit One Below


Knit One Below is the name of a wonderful new book by Elise Duvekot, that demonstrates an exciting new way to work with color in knitting. The book also offers several patterns using this unique technique. The appearance is somewhat similar to slipped stitch colorwork, but is worked entirely differently. The resulting fabric is warm and inviting, and when worked with yarns that have long color changes - such as Noro Kureyon or Silk Garden - the effects are really quite beautiful.


This wonderful method of doing colorwork is both easy and fun. I always enjoy learning something new and different to add to my knitting repertoire. I already know that I'll be making a few gifts for next winter using this technique. And the patterns in the book look like a lot of fun as well. I'm sure it will be no surprise to you if I say that I especially have my eyes on the socks. I'm thinking that I'm going to need some of those.


This is a featured technique at Kiwi at the moment, and if you stop into the shop you can see not only this gorgeous vest, but also a lovely scarf worked in the same technique. Lynn and staff have made up some quick scarf kits for those wanting to try their hands at this easy yet visually impressive method. Each kit includes 2 skeins of Noro yarn, as well as the pattern and an explanation of how to work the stitch.


Brigid recently attended The National NeedleArts Association (TNNA) conference and took a class from Elise Duvekot. She then returned to Kiwi and taught a class on the technique. Another class is planned for next quarter, as well as a two-day class in the booties you see below, made with this same method.



So stop in and take a look at the vest and scarf on display. I promise that you are going to be intrigued by this new technique, and the beautiful fabric that it makes!


No comments: