Thursday, July 26, 2007

More Class Info...

Marianne checks in with her classes...

One of the reasons why I pick the classes I teach is because of the technical nature that is involved in most of them. Having been a nurse for many, many years, I worked with patients AND all the associated mechanics. My brain works that way so it has translated well to my knitting.

In all my classes, I teach as much hands on as the 2 hour time period allows. With socks, I am having the students do mock up socks first so they can wrap their minds around a technique prior to applying the skill to sock yarn. With that said and there is a sock yarn that you MUST have, then swatch that in stockinette stitch on your preferred method of DPNs, 2 circulars or a Magic loop and bring it to class. Otherwise, just wait for the class and we will cover everything.

Now, it may sound like I am a perfectionist and to some extent that is true. I also feel strongly about knowing how to execute and finish one's work to the best of one's ability. That is why I teach "Fixing Mistakes" and "Finishing Classes". I love teaching people how to finish their work so that the recipient of the knit piece can be proud to wear the completed item. Again, in both of these classes, you fix the mistakes and finish the sweaters on mock up pieces...it's fun.

I also really enjoy encouraging people to finish what they have started or going for a more difficult project if the desire is there so my "Knitting Coach" fits in with that. I will help you finish those pieces or walk you thru starting and finishing pieces that you may think are too complicated for you. Teaching brand new knitters in the Beginning Knitting Series has been a joy and helping knitters who haven't pick up sticks in ages sharpen their skills with Knitting Revisited has been a real pleasure.

Crochet is here, too and soon you will be seeing the "Larger than Life" bag in the shop. It's fun and looks great and if you feel comfortable with your chaining, sc's, sl st, and dc's join me in that class. You could also take Crochet 101 before the project so you can put your new found skills to good use.

I also have a new class from the Itty Bitty Hat Book, I will be doing displays of both girls and boys hats and the customer chooses which she/he would like to make.

I am always available for private lessons is the schedule doesn't meet your needs or will do the work for you if you just don't have the time or ability!

No comments: